Abbey Color is one of the world’s leading suppliers of logwood extract.
Logwood Extract Properties and Advantages
Logwood extract is a natural tinctorial wood extract with these characteristics:
- Properties – Natural, antiallergenic, antistatic, ecological, organic, vegetal, biodegradable and safe
- Advantages – High quality, more resistance to wash, highly resistant to light and transpiration
- Products you can dye with logwood extract include – fine leather, cotton, hard fibers, silk, suede, wood, wool
- Depending on the mordant used the following colors can be achieved: black, grey, navy blue, purple, violet, lavender
- Color Index: 75290 Natural Black No.1
- CAS: 8005 33 2
- EINECS: 232 337 6
What is Logwood Extract?
The extract is a purplish-red natural dye obtained from the Logwood tree. The logwood tree is a spiny tropical American tree (Haematoxylon campechianum) in the pea family and it is the dark heartwood from which the extract is obtained.
Logwood (Haematoxylum campechianum) is a species of flowering tree in the legume family, Fabaceae, that is native to southern Mexico and northern Central America. It has been and to a lesser extent remains of great economic importance. The modern nation of Belize grew from 17th century English logwood logging camps. The tree’s scientific name means “bloodwood” (haima being Greek for blood and xulon for wood).
Logwood was used for a long time as a natural source of dye, and still remains an importance source of haematoxylin, which is used in histology for staining. The bark and leaves are also used in various medical applications. In its time, logwood was considered a versatile dye, and was widely used on textiles but also for paper. The dye’s colour depends on the mordant used as well as the pH. It is reddish in an acidic environments but bluish in alkaline ones. (Source: Wikipedia, Logwood, 2010)
Other Uses for Logwood Extract
Logwood extract is used to produce:
- Hematoxylin, a critical biological stain used in the histology industry
- Hematine used to stain sutures for the medical industry
In addition, logwood extract is still used in Japan to produce the most beautiful and high quality ceremonial kimonos.
Logwood Extract from Abbey Color – Benefits
As the world leader in the supply of logwood extract, Abbey Color offers the following benefits:
- Guaranteed consistent quality material
- Product in stock
- Competitive pricing
Abbey Color – Your Source for Logwood Extract
Click Here to Contact Abbey Color for further assistance with logwood extract.